Online marketers seem to have understood ,by now, that being on Snapchat after Instagram is worth it. In 2018, they have started to noticeably spend more efforts on this social platform. The reason is simple: they see the advantages in Snapchat that a non-marketer could not see as clearly.
What advantages does Snapchat have for online marketers?
- Snapchat is the best way to reach out to the younger audiences. As it is the generation Z’s favorite, a huge majority of teenagers have a Snapchat account.
- Snapchat has 187 million daily active users. These users spend a considerable amount of time on the application (about half an hour per day), watch over 10 billion videos and share 3.5 billion snaps each day. On average, a Snapchat user opens the application 25 times a day! The fact that Snapchat is not as crowded as other social platforms makes it even better in terms of costs when it comes to advertising.
- Snapchat’s being a little less accessible to the “masses” makes it even more attractive, actually. Snapchat has plenty of cool features, but these are not always easy to access to. But this also means that once people, celebrities or brands have been able to get used to it, they are automatically considered to be “cool” and get instant acceptance.
- Snapchat is for spontaneous, natural people who like to take it easy. Even if the brand you want to promote is not related, in any way, to simple and natural things, and even if the way you want to promote your brand is totally “artificial” (high budget ad), creating and sharing an ad that at least looks simple and natural on Snapchat could instantly make your ad a hit.
- Snapchat is fun. Snapchat allows users, celebrities and brands to be original and add a touch of humour in the way they connect to their followers. Business-to-customer communication becomes more of a friend-to-friend communication on Snapchat. And this is just a unique opportunity not to miss!
- Ads have more visibility on Snapchat than on other social platforms. Because Snapchat has a people oriented appearance (the app does not revolve around brand promotion), it can afford to show more ads to its users than Instagram, for example.
Two ways in which you should try to use Snapchat for online marketing:
Organically: Snapchat introduced a new layout recently, in which there is a clear separation between friends and brands. The content related to your friends will show one one side and the content related to brands, celebrities (essentially all the profiles that you follow without them following you back) will show on the other side. This means that the line between friend-to-friend and B-2-C communication has gotten a little clearer than before. However, the users are still confronted with the content. It is just the display that has changed a little. So, you should really keep making efforts to increase your following by sharing content more regularly than you used to, in order to make it more visible.
Through paid content: paying for ads on Snapchat is a good way to make sure your ad is viewed amongst all the ads and stories that your users will have on their feed. It is an excellent hack that online marketers invest in, in order to attract customers and strengthen the brand they are willing to promote.